02 September 2016

Amazon's Algorithms Are Clear, Now

So, Amazon decided that my interests lay in Religion and Spirituality books, a topic of which the best that can be said is that my reading tends to the highly esoteric. If the recommended books had involved the various aboriginal religions, seventeenth-century religious schisms in Islam, or medieval Lithuanian paganism, I would have been impressed and might have perused the selection.

Instead, it consisted almost entirely of pop theology, Christian leadership, and "The Men Who Stare at Goats" (to quote the great Dave Barry: I am not making this up). Since I don't read these books (although I might read "The Men Who Stare at Goats", if I ever find the time), I couldn't begin to guess why Amazon decided to recommend them. Fortunately, I can click a link and find out:



Wow! Three Vonnegut novels, Huxley's classic, a novel of the Franklin Expedition of 1845, and Grant's Memoirs. If I saw these on your bookshelf, I'd come up with a very different list of suggestions. Something regarding the Elder Gods might be appropriate, or more likely, something from another shelf in the library. (I do actually own and have read all of these books, by the way.)

Amazon is also incorrect in that my hobby is not voyeurism. I live in a neighborhood filled with middle-aged bodies living middle-class lives. Frankly, my neighbors are neither attractive or interesting enough to justify peering through their windows, making this suggestion irrelevant:

No comments: