08 August 2016

Some People Need More Help Than Others

So, on Amazon, I came across a box of colored pencils. They are highly rated and reasonably priced. I did notice that there were a surprising number of questions associated with them, which puzzled me. The first question was: "Are the pencils marked what color they are?" Six people answered, all saying some variation on "No, they are not."

When I look at these pencils, the question, "What color is this pencil?" doesn't come to mind. Clearly I lack imagination. I see several green pencils, a few yellows, a white, a black, etc. Perhaps if you can't tell what color the pencil is, you shouldn't be using them. I mean, if you want your leaves to be dark green, you pick up the dark green pencil. If you're looking for early spring leaves, you pick up a lighter green.

I could understand, if these were professional graphic artist tools, how someone might want the Pantone number on the pencil, although I would argue that because of variation in coloring style, it would be meaningless. It's kind of sad to think that there are people wandering this Earth who can't buy colored pencils because they are confused between which one is lilac and which is lavender.

No comments: