08 August 2016

Amazon's AI Has Gone Full SkyNet

I've mentioned in the past that Amazon seems to view my purchase of Andy Grove's "High Output Management" as an opportunity to clear its shelves. Here's today's suggestion:



I must have missed that chapter. I'll have to re-read it now.

As further proof that Amazon has confused my list with a certain friend of mine's, I present the following:


God help the child who learns to read from James Joyce. I learned from Kurt Vonnegut and look where it got me.

Amazon has also noticed that I am trying to lose some weight and is offering encouragement based upon the principle that you can never be too rich or too slim:


It has recognized that my home office is near the kitchen, so it's made a useful suggestion:


If you don't immediately recognize it, it's a sliding spice rack for a kitchen cabinet.

Topical, if not necessarily helpful:


I suspect that was a paid placement by the American Bar Association, who was desperately trying to demonstrate that not all lawyers are vile humans.

Amazon still thinks that I'm a maritime engineer:



Although it does note that I spent a lot of time in Germany.

And finally, reason number one why Grainger has nothing to fear from Amazon when it comes to professional-grade mail order:


I was surprised to find out that USB cables are available in triple-aught gauge. They allow for the charging of your cell phone in under 100 ms.

nb: I bought a pair of 20' AWG 750 copper cables which would have been about a 7/0, if the scale went that high, back when I was in grad school. They cost $250 each back then, were an inch of copper, with another eighth-inch of insulation. They weighted in at about fifty pounds each and looked like something that you would hang a bridge from. I'd love to have about four feet of that cable now to jury-rig a power cable out of, so that I could show up in meetings and look around for someplace to plug my laptop in.

That's how you get cred in the tech world.

No comments: