05 March 2006

Hephaestus' First Law

Any sufficiently unlikely event will immediately be siezed upon as a miracle by true believers.

I mention this because The New York Times Book Review has added a science fiction column by David Itzkoff. This event will immediately be forwarded to the Vatican as evidence of Octavia Butler's first miracle. For those of you who didn't notice, Ms. Butler died last week, far too young. The NYT did give her a decent sendoff.

Who knows what inspired the editors of the Grey Lady to rush into this move a mere sixty years or so after the beginning of science fiction's Golden Age. Still, we'll take what we can get.

Addendum: Itzkoff's list of his ten favorite science fiction books shows that he has promise. It's not my list, and I don't recognize some of the titles (I'll go look for the ones that I don't), but I can't argue with any of the selections that I do know.

No comments: